Erika Brent Sexton
I am a Richmond, Virginia based WordPress developer providing small and mid-sized businesses with top-notch creative services. I hold a MFA from VCU, along with certifications in SEO and 508 compliance and accessibility. I have 15+ years of web and graphic design experience.
West Cary Group
Contract Software Engineer | 2023-current
- Converted .NET website to WordPress, linking the new site with an old external database and incorporating Figma, PHP, and Bootstrap knowledge
- Consulted with external clients to strengthen web development – delivering custom themes, full-site editing, and Gutenberg block and pattern development projects
- Invested in learning AWS Lightsail and AWS Elastic Beanstalk to improve Cloud skills
- Coordinated with a creative team of 2-4 designers and web developers as well as project managers and VP of engineering on complex and competing projects
Virginia Department of Health
Web Developer, Office of Epidemiology | 2021-2023
Web Developer Virginia Department of Health Office of Epidemiology. Collaborated with project managers, subject matter experts, teams, and individuals developing web projects based on specific requirements and timelines, including fast-paced execution when working on the COVID-19 and Mpox response.
- Website Development:
- Frontend website development included designing and building WordPress websites and web pages, and creating reusable components to allow users to easily edit and create web pages
- Website architecture improvements for usability and search ability
- Implemented website responsive design, accessibility, and usability improvements
- Ran accessibility audits and provided detailed recommendations for website designs and plain language improvements
- Created web pages to meet Section 508 compliance, and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Search Engine Optimization and Analytics:
- Ran SEO audits with multiple performance tools to provide detailed recommendations for improvements
- Improved website content for SEO
- Tracked and managed keywords using SEO software
- Monitored Google Analytics and provided custom Data Studio (Looker Studio) reports for users and teams to track website traffic
- Website Training:
- Provided education and training on accessibility
- Created WordPress and Accessibility training manuals
- Provided one-on-one training and support for users and teams
- Graphic Design:
- Created custom graphics to be used on the website
- Worked on several projects that required a quick turn around time due to the pandemic response.
- Worked across multiple teams to create web pages and content.
- Trained and assisted managing web assistant
WordPress website with a focus on 508 compliance, accessibility, and plain language.
Custom WordPress design for 2022 Virginia Public Health Preparedness Summit & Virginia Epidemiology Seminar.
Custom WordPress web page with custom calculator. Featured in the news.
Revamped the existing website and website structure to increase user experience and access to information, accessibility, and plain language.
Patient Services Inc
Web Developer | 2020
- Created a robust WordPress website with custom PHP-plugin connecting to a remote MySQL database server – a complex integration process with the IT department
- Adapted best practices for website development, including mobile and responsive site design, for a non-profit environment
- Expanded skills in web applications and web services such as security principles, cross browser compatibility, and web user interface (UI) design
- Recommended improvements to content management systems and SEO practices
- Tested code and website functionality each month by incorporating expansive knowledge of APIs, CSS, CSS3, HTML, HTML5, and PHP
WordPress Developer, and SEO Consultant | 2014- 2017
- Produced landing pages, SEO strategies, marketing collateral, and monthly newsletters for 3,000 recipients to bolster business development opportunities for 15 diverse clients
- Generated marketing collateral over a long-term contract, expanding marketing functionality and scaling operations to accommodate growing business needs
- Minimized expenses, consistently completing projects on time and under budget
Richmond Digital Marketing
WordPress Developer | 2011- current
- Advise small and mid-sized businesses to enhance their online presence, focusing on SEO, WordPress development, and 508 compliance and accessibility
- Cater to specific client needs in diverse industries such as legal and medical offices, realtors, automotive shops, insurance agencies, designers, contractors, and authors
- Develop websites using WordPress with sleek designs, unique branding, and engaging content to optimize marketing initiatives and drive business growth
- Deliver graphic design projects – including logos and business cards – as well as social media images and MailChimp templates via Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
Website design and development for a University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy research study on opioid packaging.
Custom WordPress website for Central Virginia’s corporate retreat, meeting and conference center located near Charlottesville.
Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Fibers
University of Richmond
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Art: Painting
Associates of Art
Digital Marketing Foundations | SEO | Conversion Optimization | Content Marketing
University of Richmond
Web Accessibility Certification
University of Richmond