Erika Brent Sexton
I am a Richmond, Virginia based WordPress developer providing small and mid-sized businesses with top-notch creative services. I hold a MFA from VCU, along with certifications in SEO and 508 compliance and accessibility. I have 15+ years of web and graphic design experience.
West Cary Group
Contract Software Engineer | 2023-current
WordPress frontend website development.
Virginia Department of Health
Web Developer, Office of Epidemiology | 2021-2023
Web Developer Virginia Department of Health Office of Epidemiology. Collaborated with project managers, subject matter experts, teams, and individuals developing web projects based on specific requirements and timelines, including fast-paced execution when working on the COVID-19 and Mpox response.
- Website Development:
- Frontend website development included designing and building WordPress websites and web pages, and creating reusable components to allow users to easily edit and create web pages
- Website architecture improvements for usability and search ability
- Implemented website responsive design, accessibility, and usability improvements
- Ran accessibility audits and provided detailed recommendations for website designs and plain language improvements
- Created web pages to meet Section 508 compliance, and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Search Engine Optimization and Analytics:
- Ran SEO audits with multiple performance tools to provide detailed recommendations for improvements
- Improved website content for SEO
- Tracked and managed keywords using SEO software
- Monitored Google Analytics and provided custom Data Studio (Looker Studio) reports for users and teams to track website traffic
- Website Training:
- Provided education and training on accessibility
- Created WordPress and Accessibility training manuals
- Provided one-on-one training and support for users and teams
- Graphic Design:
- Created custom graphics to be used on the website
- Worked on several projects that required a quick turn around time due to the pandemic response.
- Worked across multiple teams to create web pages and content.
- Trained and assisted managing web assistant
Custom WordPress web page with custom calculator. Featured in the news.
Revamped the existing website and website structure to increase user experience and access to information, accessibility, and plain language.
WordPress website with a focus on 508 compliance, accessibility, and plain language.
Custom WordPress design for 2022 Virginia Public Health Preparedness Summit & Virginia Epidemiology Seminar.
Patient Services Inc
Web Developer | 2020
Worked in collaboration with the IT department to design and develop a WordPress website, and to create a custom plugin connecting the website to a remote MySQL database server.
WordPress Developer, and SEO Consultant | 2014- 2017
Richmond Digital Marketing
WordPress Developer | 2011- current
Richmond, Virginia based WordPress developer, certified SEO, and graphic designer providing small and mid-sized businesses with top-notch creative services that include web, and graphic design, SEO, and 508 accessibility services.
Custom WordPress website for Central Virginia’s corporate retreat, meeting and conference center located near Charlottesville.
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA — Masters of Fine Arts, Fibers, 2002
- Meredith College, Raleigh, NC — Art Education K-12, 2000
- Meredith College, Raleigh, NC — Bachelor of Art, Painting, 1998
- Peace College, Raleigh, NC — Associates of Art, 1996
- Certificate for Introduction to Web Accessibility — edX, June 2021
- Content Marketing Practitioner Certification — Market Motive 2016
- Conversion Optimization Practitioner Certification — Market Motive 2016
- SEO Practitioner Certification, Market Motive — Market Motive 2016
- Digital Marketing Foundations Practitioner Certification, Market Motive — Market Motive 2016
- Montessori Primary Certification — KHT Montessori 2014
- Graphic Design with Photoshop Certification — School of Continuing Studies, University of Richmond, 2011
- Webmaster Certification — School of Continuing Studies, University of Richmond, 2011